The first five books of the bible, summarized in 90 words:
We may summarize the Pentateuch [Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy] as follows.
- Genesis is a book of origins. It describes the beginnings of the universe and the origins of God’s people.
- Exodus traces the salvation of his people, who are helpless to save themselves.
- Leviticus calls for holiness as the only natural lifestyle for the Israelites and as the only possible response to God’s grace.
- Numbers is a book of wanderings in which God’s people suffer the consequences of their unbelief. But the story ends on a positive note, when
- Deuteronomy presents a program for renewal.
Encountering the Old Testament, p.66, formatting added.